The Parliament of Hungary
Did you know...
- that the height of the House of Parliament and St. Stephen's Basilica are equal at the size of 96 meters which is not only a symbolic equition between the profane and the spiritual building but also the eternal limit of the highest size that a building can reach in Budapest.
- that during the construction it was strictly restricted to use materials with Hungarian origins only?
- that more than 40 kg of gold has been used throughout the construction?
- that the House of the Hungarian Parliament is the second largest Parliament in Europe?
- that the most talented architect, Imre Steindl who designed the Parliament died before the construction finished in 1904?
- that 40 million bricks were built into the building?
- that altogether there are 242 sculptures in the building and on its walls?
The internal decoration of the House of Parliament is just as astonishing as its measures. 242 sculptures, hundreds of paintings by the most famous Hungarian painters of the time and wonderful glassmosaics are decorating the building. The most famous painting in the Parliament is Munkácsy Mihály's Hungarian Conquest.
However the building was not finsihed yet, the first diet of the Parliament in the year of the millenium of state establishment in 1896 was already held in the half-ready building.